Former Fashion Editor-At-Large for Glamour, Suze Yalof Schwartz has been in the fashion scene for over 14 years. She has appeared on The Today Show and The Early Show and is an expert when it comes to all things fashion. We are loving seeing her fashion recommendations and style advice on OpenSky (where you can shop with her and other fashion mavens). Check out what she had to say in our exclusive interview about her career and inspirations:
1. What woman, besides your mom or grandmother, do you find inspirational?
ROBIN ROBERTS FROM GOOD MORNING AMERICA. SHE IS THE KINDEST WOMAN IN THE WORLD, AN AMAZING JOURNALIST AND CARES ABOUT EVERYONE AROUND HER. SHE IS ALWAYS PRESENT WHEN YOU ARE IN HER PRESENCE AND YOU FEEL THE LOVE – EVERYONE WHO KNOWS HER FEELS THAT WAY PLUS SHE IS SOOOOO TALENTED AT WHAT SHE DOES. FOR FASHION A WOMAN NAMED CRYSTAL LOURD – SHE IS A VOGUE FAVORITE AND YOU NEVER WILL SEE HER DRESSED DOWN SHE LOOKS AMAZING 24/7 BE IT IN A MISSONI BIKINI, AN OSCAR DE LA RENTA JALABA IN MEXICO, EVEN POST WORKOUT PERFECTION AND SHE ALWAYS WEARS A PERFECT DRESS AT EVERY OCCASION – I WOULD LOVE TO TRADE CLOSETS WITH HER.
2. How did you get your start as a stylist?
I WAS A MARKET EDITOR AT VOGUE, ELLE AND MARIE CLAIRE BUT HAD MY FIRST STYLING EXPERIENCE AT GLAMOUR WHEN I CAME UP WITH THE IDEA OF SHOOTING REAL WOMEN IN THEIR ILL FITTING BATHING SUITS (BEFORE) AND THEN PUTTING THEM IN AMAZING BATHING SUITS THAT MADE THEM LOOK 2 SIZES SMALLER IN THEIR AFTERS. IT CAUGHT THE ATTENTION OF OPRAH AND THE NY TIMES AND THE REST WAS HISTORY.
3. What’s your favorite look that you’ve created?
I WOULD SAY SWIMSUIT MAKEOVERS ON THE HUNDREDS OF WOMEN I HAVE DONE IT FOR – THEY LOVE ME FOR IT SO I LOVE DOING IT.
4. Who do you want to work with?
I HAVE BEEN ON THE OPRAH WINFREY SHOW A COUPLE TIMES BUT I WOULD LOVE TO WORK WITH HER ON HER SOUL SERIES – I AM FASCINATED BY THE SUBJECT – OH AND I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO GIVE HER A SHOE MAKEOVER SINCE I HAVE THE BEST SHOE SURGEON IN NYC WHO DOES NOT LEAVE SCARS ON YOUR MANOLOS BUT CAN TURN THEM INTO ORTHOPEDICS.
5. What part of styling is the most challenging and do you dislike the most?
I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO FIND CLOTHING YOU LOVE BUT FOR ME IT IS EASY – I ONCE WORKED WITH A WOMAN FOR WHOM I FOUND AN AMAZING DRESS AND SHE LOVED IT -THEN SHE MADE MY LIFE MISERABLE OVER A SHOE THAT YOU WOULD NOT SEE BECAUSE HER DRESS WAS SO LONG – WHY?
6. Top 3 style tips to share with our readers:
1) SKIN TONED SHOES WILL MAKE YOUR LEGS LOOK ENDLESS.
2) YOUR BRA MATTERS – IF IT DOESN’T FIT IT WILL MAKE EVERYTHING YOU WEAR LOOK BAD.
3) DRESS EVERYDAY LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO BUMP INTO YOUR BOSS OR YOUR X – THE DAY YOU DON’T IS THE DAY YOU WILL.
7. Any advice for ladies who are just starting out as stylists in the fashion industry?
BE FEARLESS, BE CONFIDENT AND DON’T MIX ANIMAL PRINTS.
- Women Making History: Lori Goldstein
- Women Making History: Kendall Farr
- Women Making History: Anita Patrickson
- Women Making History: Gabby Applegate of Witches
- Women Making History: Elin Dannerstedt of NCLA