If you don’t know HIFANA, you need to stop what you’re doing right now and get familiar. The Tokyo based breakbeat duo has been making really dope, complex music since the late 90s using a variety of off the wall samples and unique instruments like a West African percussion instrument called an asalato. In conjunction with the label that puts out nearly all their records, W+K Tokyo Lab, the duo put together this really dope iPhone app called Fresh Push Play that basically turns your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch into a mini MPC sampler. You record a whole range of different sounds (bird calls, people yelling, traffic light beeping, car horns, just to name a few things) and assign those sounds to different pads. Once you’ve got the sounds you want, you can then turn that into a track by using a built in piano roll and pushing on the pads to make something that sounds amazing…or at least inoffensive to the ears. It’s a pretty cool tool for aspiring DJs, producers, or people who just want a musical way to pass the time while waiting at the doctor’s office for a flu shot. It’s available right now in the iTunes App Store for the low low price of free 99, and that should be music to everyone’s ears.
- M.I.S.S. Techcessories: Get Into Shape With Incase’s New Sports Armband Deluxe
- M.I.S.S. Techcessories: Urbanears Plattan Headphones Look Good, Sound Better
- We Got The Beat: ICY LYTES
- The Music Link List – 6.15.2011
- M.I.S.S. Techcessories: Put A Stylist in the Palm of Your Hands With Like.com’s Ask A Stylist App