It’s been two years since I first and last saw Female Sneaker Fiend founder Lori Lobenstine. I met her along with M.I.S.S. photographer and photo editor Amanda Lopez during a photoshoot stop for the book Girls Got Kicks. Now, with the book in print, Lori is taking a tour across the country to celebrate the release and let everyone know that the ladies run the shoe game too – and this book is the proof. M.I.S.S. was on the scene for the release in San Francisco, uniting and reuniting sneaker heads of all ages from around the Bay.
The event was hosted at the Darkside Initiative, an SF landmark for sneakers. There’s a selection of women’s and kids’ kicks on the shelf, but generally the spot is more geared toward the fellas; the ladies just had to take it over for the night. FSF shirts added a pop of color to the displays, and framed photos from the book decorated the table top. DJ Katrina B killed it on the tables, mixing in those old R&B joints that had a few of us busting some moves in our shoes.
After briefly catching up with Lori and Amanda, the first thing I did was open the book. I told my daughter Jada to find the page where she and I posed together for our shot. It was difficult to stay on task, because each page was like looking at a catalog of shoes you wish you had. Between 180+ full-color pages filled with ladies, kicks, and the stories that go with them, we found our photo, taken by Amanda Lopez in a San Francisco alleyway. We both wore Jordans for this shot; me in my III’s and Jada in a pair of pink and blacks that she actually used for basketball. It was a trip to see our photo in the book, because since then, my kid sure has sprouted and now wears the same shoe size as me. We have tiffs in the morning when she wants to wear my shoes to school.
I did kick her down a pair of my own kicks that I rarely wear, and we both decided to rock a mother-daughter look to the release in the composition notebook Air Max 90s and Vandals Nikes. Of course, since this was a sneaker event, other ladies came correct with their choice of kicks for the night. Lori rocked some Pumas and Amanda represented in her M.I.S.S. x MAMA “ALWAYS A LADY” ADIDAS FINA exclusives. I counted a few pair of Chucks, some well-loved Jordans, and our own M.I.S.S. GDK threw some tiny Hello Kitty Vans on her Tiny Dancer’s feet.
It’s so refreshing to have a book like Girls Got Kicks to bring Female Sneaker Fiends and their fams together. We all passed around our own copies and got them signed like they were yearbooks. Jada copped a few signatures from M.I.S.S. Rocky Rivera and GDK, but she also signed her own name in another young FSF’s book.
On top of all that, no one stepped on my shoes. It was a good night for kickin’ it indeed. SF <3’s FSF!
Cop your own copy of the book on the official website, www.girlsgotkicks.com, or catch Lori on tour so you can floss what you got:
- Unite Footwear in Northampton, MA on October 29th, with music by our friend REC from TRGGR Radio
- Akin Chicago on November 4th, with nail artist Astro Wifey (yup, you can get your nails did to match your kicks!)
- Fifth Element Record Store in Minneapolis on November 5th, with performances by B-Girl Be talent Desdamona, Tish Jones and Maria Isa and the first ever all-female sneaker battle! Make sure you wear heat on your feet!
- Sole Control in Philly on November 11th, with GGK’s own DJ Jovi Baby spinning!
- Palace 5ive in DC on November 12th with DJ Beauty N the Beatz in the house!
- Girls Got Kicks San Francisco Release Party
- Girls Got Kicks Interviews in Sneaker Freaker
- Girls Got Kicks Melbourne
- Female Sneaker Fiend November Photo Contest – Get Out The House!
- Photo Of The Week – Morningside Park by Amanda Lopez