Designer fashion label PREEN opted for a youthful and classy runway look for NYFW SS 2012 (PREEN Runway Show). Head stylist for Aveda Paul Hanlon elaborated on some of the inspiration behind the update to the 1940s hair roll he designed for the show.
“They really liked the idea of just keeping it very clean, very sculpted in a way,” Hanlon said. The hairstyle, utilizes retro elements while incorporating Easter flare with a subtle Japanese influence. The look took around three people to twist and pull the model’s hair tightly to the head. “There’s a very graphic element to it,” he said.
Hanlon created the look by starting with a side part and slicking the model’s hair back. He then applied a handful of Aveda’s Volumizing Tonic thoroughly to various sections of the hair and then blow-dried. Finally, he sprayed Aveda’s Air Control Hairspray to control the hair and give it some hold.
“It’s quite tight on the front of the head. And we’re just twisting the hair, using big pins to hold it in place, following the hairline. And then the other side is the same. And then just draw them together, and secure them with pins,” he said. In theory the instructions sound simple, but require some time and patience.
Hanlon noted that it was necessary for the hair to look natural yet precisely constructed.
“We didn’t want it to become plastic looking or manufactured. It still had to have a reality to it.”
Fortunately for M.I.S.S. readers, Mr. Hanlon has been kind enough to break his runway hair look down into 8 easy-to-follow steps!
Get The Look by Paul Hanlon (using Aveda Products)
1. Prep hair by spritzing throughout with Aveda Volumizing Tonic, blow dry with a round brush. Work hair away from the face and neck to keep the hairline clean. If hair is dry or damaged, begin by prepping with Aveda Brilliant Damage Control, and follow with Aveda Volumizing Tonic.
2. Once dry, gently brush hair away from the face and let hair part naturally on the left side. Smooth hair with a fine-toothed comb and a light mist of Aveda Air Control Hair Spray.
3. On the right side of the head at the top of the ear, begin to twist hair toward the back of the head, staying just on top of the parietal ridge. Use a tail comb to neatly bring hair up into the roll, and secure the roll with “U” pins. Avoid twisting too tightly at this point.
4. Continue twisting toward the back of the head following the natural hairline. Twist all the way to the nape, secure hair with a clip.
5. Repeat twist on the left side, starting slightly lower, one to two inches above the top of the ear, sloping downward at the back of the head to create a “U” shape when twists meet at the nape.
6. Neatly brush hair upward from the hairline to create a seamless connection between the two twists. This gives the appearance of a single, smooth, twisted roll that snugly wraps around the head.
7. Use Aveda Air Control Hair Spray and the end of a tail comb to smooth all wisps and flyaways while replacing “U” pins with bobby pins, snugly tucked and hidden.
8. Finish with Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine.
- Beauty Tip Of The Week: Summer Hair Looks By Roy Teeluck
- The Beauty Link List 5.13.2010
- Dirty Up Your ‘Do With Aveda Light Elements Texturizing Creme
- Hello Kitty Tokyo Pop Collection Exclusively at Sephora
- M.I.S.S. Michelle’s Beauty Tip of the Week: New Skin for the Old Ceremony – Exploring the World of Dry Skin Brushing.