In life, it’s generally good advice to not carry around extra baggage. When dealing with relationships, lovers, and love handles, baggage is something unwanted and to be rid of ASAP. But when traveling, carrying extra baggage can be handy. My tip: always pack a flat-folding bag inside your luggage as a back up. Here’s why:
– Unplanned side trips happen. You and your bestie may decide to visit a friend and spend the night, you may make it a beach day, or you decide to pack a change of clothes for cooler evening weather when out gallavanting. Not a problem; put your extra bag to use and leave your larger luggage behind for the day.
– Travelers often have a lot to carry. Let’s say you have your purse, laptop, other items in hand for the plane, and then you stop for food. Not enough hands to handle it all? No worries, just condense some items into your already-packed spare bag. Insert laptop, purse, reading material, etc. into large extra tote, insert food into hand, and then mouth.
– You must carry something on. Perhaps you thought you were clever and packed everything into one checked bag so you could breeze around the airport with just your necessities. Then you found something breakable/that cannot be bent/longer than your luggage. Well, time to take out the extra bag and put it to use.
– Checked bag fees ain’t cheap. If you did a weekend getaway and bought two pairs of shoes in the process (true story as of this weekend), your solo carry-on roller will need help. Rather than checking one bag and carrying on a shopping bag, take out your extra bag, deposit your purse plus extra purchases, and move it along.
– Checked bag fees are sometimes necessary. Maybe you did shopping beyond those two pairs. Maybe you found some hard-to-find item you just can’t do without. No problem. Divvy up what can be checked and what you want with you on the plane between your already planned luggage and your handy dandy extra.
Get the idea?
For your next trip, choose an easy tote that you can pack flat, lay it in your luggage, continue packing, and rest-assured you have it there when you may need it.
Image Layout: C-Rocka
- M.I.S.S. Jet Set: To Wheel or Not To Wheel
- M.I.S.S. Jet Set: Pack Light or Pay Up
- My Latest Obsession: Summer Bags
- M.I.S.S. Jet Set: Little Things Can Trip You Up
- M.I.S.S. Jet Set: Yak Pak Luggage