No one wants to miss out on a sneak peeks behind Hollywood’s night of nights. And with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announcing their Oscar nominees this week, it seems like the perfect opportunity sneak a peek into the life of their little golden friend, Oscar.
The world’s most well known acting-gong was designed in the 1920’s by MGM art director Cedric Gibbons (who himself was nominated 39 times and winner of 11 Oscars!), and was sculpted into 3D form by sculptor George Stanley.
Oscar, officially named the Academy Award of Merit, is a knight gripping a crusader’s sword, standing on a reel of film. The film reel features five spokes, signifying the five original branches of the Academy (actors, directors, producers, technicians and writers). The statuette stands 13½ inches tall and weighs in at 8½ pounds.
There are conflicting accounts of how the statuette gained it’s nickname, Oscar – but according to some sources, the Academy librarian (and eventual executive director) Margaret Herrick, once said that the statuette resembled her Uncle Oscar. And it stuck.
While most of us can only imagine what it would be like to hold an Oscar, let alone win one, it’s not that hard to fake it. Here are a few golden Oscar-esque pieces to help transform your home into a winner!
3. Fornasetti Ceramic Owl Tray. Gold-leaf covered rectangular ceramic tray featuring a black and white print of an owl.
4. Cire Trudon Mademoiselle de La Valliere scented candle. Featuring a blend of ambergris, rosewater and jasmine in a handblown green glass container with embossed gold crest.
5. Gold Piggy Bank by Harry Allen. This little Piggy Bank is the ‘reality’ take on the classic image of a piggy bank and $10 from each sale goes to the Humane Society to prevent cruelty to animals everywhere.
- Women Making History: Congratulations Kathryn Bigelow
- Lady Dior: The Lady Noire Affair
- M.I.S.S. Review: You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger
- Actress Elizabeth Taylor Passes Away At Age 79
- FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION | New Yorkers, Meet the Oscars!