Banksy. Shepard Fairey.
Kid Zoom? You haven’t heard of him? Not yet maybe, but word on the street is that he’s the next big thing. Originally hailing from Australia’s biggest west coast city, Perth, and now based in NYC, Kid Zoom is about to step onto the world stage with his first NYC solo show, This City Will Eat Me Alive, launching this Saturday in the meat packing district.
Getting into graffiti at the tender age of 16 via a love of comics, cartoons and drawings, Zoom gained a cult following across Australia for his unique style that draws on his childhood memories and pushes the limits characters and monsters in same way that graffiti artists push the boundaries of typography.
Under the watchful eye of lowbrow legend Ron English, Kid Zoom moved to NYC and blossomed from hometown graf hero to fully-fledged enfant terrible. Conquering the big apple is just the beginning so it seems – so get in quick and snap up some of his work while you still can. Because what’s next? World domination of course. Jeff Koons, Damien Hirst… Kid Zoom.
But how do you do Kid Zoom in your room?
His work can range from bright and bold to dark and brooding, so to hang one of his pieces on your wall you’ll need to find a balance. From Australian’s national emblem (the Kangaroo) to the streets of NYC and skulls to luxe sofas, this interior look has a touch of nostalgia mixed with future vision. Just like Kid Zoom himself.
- Bronze Skull Lamp by Blackman Cruz Workshop
- MC Supersize figurine by Ron English, available from Secret Base
- ‘Tribute’ by Kid Zoom – A2 unsigned poster from Stupid Krap
- Genuine NYC Stop Sign wall hanging from 4M Store
- Kangaroo Fauna Cushion from Design Public
- Moooi Boutique Sofa designed by Marcel Wanders for Moooi
- Faux Bear Rug from Fringe Collection
- Big Sqube by Playge
- Diva Ostrich Side Table by iBride
- NYC Taxi Cab Cushion from 4M Store
- New Street Works from Toofly!!
- Design Insider: This is a Limited Edition Cushion
- Design Insider: Kelly Wearstler
- The Design Link List 09.30.10
- We Know What Boys Like: New Balance x Sneaker Freaker “Skippy”