Last year Jay-Z and Alicia Keys’ “Empire State of Mind” made its mark as the modern ode to New York. Jay’s heartfelt, homegrown musings are coupled with Miss Keys’ emphatic piano chord progression, which unmistakably carries the song. These chords were sampled from the Moments’ song “Love on a Two-Way Street”. The Moments were an old R&B band active in the 60’s and 70’s, who later came to be known as Ray, Goodman, and Brown. Ironically, “Love on a Two-Way Street”, a filler on their 1968 album, “Not on the Outside, But on the Inside, Strong!” became their breakthrough hit, reaching No. 1 on the R&B charts in 1970. Check out how Young Hov and Miss Keys revive The Moments forty years later.
Image Credit: SB
- Six Degrees of Sampling # 12
- Six Degrees of Sampling: “Rotary Connection” by Memory Band
- Six Degrees of Sampling: Maybe Tomorrow by The Jackson Five
- Six Degrees of Sampling #2
- Six Degrees of Sampling #3