In Seattle it’s really hard to figure out the seasons because the rumors are true, it’s always raining. However, you can always tell fall is coming because the trees look like they are about to burst into flame. The edges of the leaves go from their natural green to red, yellow and orange. And when the local foliage starts to resemble flannel shirts, I like to grab a coffee and watch Seattle’s favorite movie: Singles.
Singles is one of Cameron Crowe’s first movies. It’s made of equal parts romantic comedy, Seattle clichés, and mockumentary. And it quickly became a cult classic that helped launch the acting careers of Kyra Sedgwick, Bridget Fonda, and Matt Dillon.
Some people scoff at the 90’s grunge look, but it was a huge tipping point in American fashion. As a Seattle native born and bred into the depths of fashion grunge, all you’ll need to do is follow my Singles checklist and you’ll be ready to move to the 206 and fit right in.
1. To be great eye candy you need the inspiration of great ear candy. That’s why one of the biggest stars in this movie is the music. Without it, it would just be another sappy love story. But with the head-banging crowds that party out to Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam, it’s a love story that rocks!
2. Say it with me: flannel is your best friend! Plaids and patterns aren’t just for lumberjacks and wanna-be rock stars like Matt Dillon’s character Cliff. Cliff’s love interest matches her flannel with a cute floral print sundress.
3. Guys: before you move to Seattle, you need to decide whether you’re a Cliff or Steve. Are you wearing your favorite band shirt, a plaid shirt tied around your waist, and home ripped jeans? Or are you wearing a denim button-up with a James Dean inspired white tee underneath and keeping out the rain with a black wool trench coat?
4. Ladies, are you a Janet or a Linda? Wannabe Janets can create a young and spirited Coffee Barista look by wearing a checked skirt with a leather jacket, paired with a sun hat wrapped with a silk scarf. Or you can play Linda by changing to straight leg jeans, an oversize comfy fuzzy muddy-colored sweater and your favorite pair of tan Doc Martin’s.
5. Finally, there’s only one big fashion Don’t for the Singles look. Never, ever carry an umbrella. It’s totally lame. If you can’t stand the rain, stay out of Seattle!
Image Layout: the fantastic PhayMiss!
- Fashion Meets Film: Overboard
- Summer Festival Madness: Outdoor Movies
- Fashion Meets Film: Clueless
- Wrap your hips around LIPS!!
- Fashion Meets TV: Blossom Vs. Clarissa Explains It All