Earlier this year in January 2010, the Chanel Soho boutique was tagged with pink spray paint. Last week, the Chanel Soho boutique re-opened on Fashion’s Night Out. As part of the festivities, and to avoid cluttering the newly designed shop, two temporary tents were erected at the corner of Wooster & Spring streets. Inside the tents, Chanelphiles were greeted by a digital interactive graffiti where guests were invited to “tag” with Chanel spray cans.
There has been no official word on what inspired the digital graffiti but my hunch is that Uncle Karl took some inspiration from the real vandalism that occurred at the Soho boutique and elevated it to a whole new level. It’s not the first time that Karl has taken Coco Chanel’s infamous quote to heart and looked to the “streets” for inspiration:
“Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.”
-Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel
- M.I.S.S. NYFW: Fashion’s Night Out at Chanel Soho
- Cuckoo for Coco: “Coco Avant Chanel” Exclusive Box Set & “Mini Karl”
- Video: “Once Upon A Time” Trailer with Keira Knightley as Coco Chanel
- Paris-Shanghai: The Trip That Coco Chanel Only Made In Her Dreams
- The Glamorous Life: Lily and Karl are Back at it Again!