The term “raw” may conjure up images of fleshy uncooked meat dripping of a red substance that I’ll leave unnamed for the squeamish. However, living a raw lifestyle is more so about eating a diet solely consisting of uncooked vegetables, nuts, fruits and grains. Actually some raw vegans allow certain cooked foods to enter their system. As in, you can be anything between 0% raw (which wouldn’t be worthy of mention, anyway) to 100%.
Granted there are various health benefits linked to eating such a diet, but what interests me are the great recipes that are said to rival the real deal. I am yet to try almond cheese, cashew milk or avocado mayonnaise, but man do they tempt me. We’re experiencing a heat wave in Montreal as in many cities in North America, and such high humidity levels are not conducive to me experimenting over a blender. I will try it though, all in due time.
I’m salivating as I think about it; imagine eating what tastes like your favorite desserts but made with natural ingredients and a lot less calories! (Yes, I know raw veganism is much more than that, but that’s the part I’m stuck on at the moment).
Here are the scrumptious ingredients in a raw vegan strawberry cheesecake:
– 1 cup pecans
– 1 cup almonds
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– 4 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
– 3 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight (or at least 3 hours)
– 1/2 cup agave nectar
– 1/4 cup water
– 1/4 cup lime juice
– 1 tsp. vanilla extract (alcohol free preferred for raw desserts)
– 32 oz. strawberries (reserve about 9 for decorating)
– 3/4 cup coconut oil
Fluffy White Frosting
– 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
– 1/2 cup water
– 2 tbsp. agave nectar
– 1/2 tsp. vanilla (alcohol free preferred for raw desserts)
– 1/4 cup raw coconut oil
– 2 cups chopped strawberries
– 3 tablespoons agave nectar
If these ingredients tantalize your taste buds, visit the Raw Genesis site for the instructions!
- Skimkim Yummies: Strawberry Pie Bites
- Mama’s Kitchen: Elaine’s NY Cheesecake & Strawberry Topping
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Strawberry Fields Forever
- Mama’s Kitchen: Valentine’s Day Sweets
- Mama’s Kitchen: Tiramisu