Where did you take the photo?
In downtown Ithaca, New York. The southside to be exact.
What were you thinking before you took the photo?
Well, I had been using animal masks a lot at this time and was working with the idea of people as animals placed in different landscape settings.
What were you thinking after you took the photo?
I was hoping it would come out okay, as I was shooting directly into the sun!
What’s interesting to you about the photo?
I found it interesting that as a tiger, this adolescent girl looks vulnerable yet regal. As if the mask were natural, hiding the very things of which we as people are self-conscious. For a young girl, this can be plenty of things – but animals, especially tigers seem full of such pride. This juxtaposition is appealing to me, and speaks to issues everyone faces throughout life.
What camera did you use?
My 35mm Pentax K-1000. Which was my favorite film camera before I started shooting medium format. Now I have begun a love affair with 4×5.
- Photo of the Week: Grown Simba by Nina Parks
- Photo of the Week: Sunrise at the Seychelles by Lisa Keating
- Photo Of The Week: JJ con Bufanda by Sahara Marina Borja
- Photo Of The Week: Theek by Amanda Lopez
- Photo of the Week: Go-Stop by Janet Dandridge