One of the many blessings of living in the Bay is the abundance of Mexican food. I’m talking taquerías, panaderías, tamales at the pot luck, late night taco trucks, and even the elote man. How fresh is that that I can get corn off the street? Yes it is fresh, literally, like roasted earlier that day, but even though it’s some good, wholesome corn on a stick, there are ways to make food so good not so good for you. Mr. elote man, I will skip the mayo and just go for some limón. Y chili tambien. Gracias.
With Cinco de Mayo coming up, enjoy yourself a healthy Mexican meal. It might be difficult to stray away from some traditional ways, but when you go the healthier route, you’ll realize the food was meant to be so fulfilling all along. Try the following tips to celebrate the occasion. These healthy options apply to any Mexican fare, whether it be from Chipotle, Chevy’s, la taquería, la famila, and even Taco Bell.
- Don’t forget your veggies. You can’t eat Mexican food without vegetables around. Chomp on a picked carrot with that burrito, throw some lettuce on top of a taco, or add grilled bell peppers to a fajita.
- Go for the whole. Use whole wheat or corn tortillas to get more fiber. If you’re really lucky, you’ll have some blue corn products on hand.
- Rethink refried. Refried beans are so good yet so bad. Be careful of refried beans with lard. Instead go for whole beans that have been simmered in spices. Cumin, oregano, and chili powder would taste great!
- Forget about fried. Choose foods that have not been fried. That means no chips, hard-shelled tacos, taquitos, chile relleno, sopes, you get it. I need to especially remember this, since I have a weakness for chips and salsa. Instead, go for fajitas, burritos, or enchiladas.
- Select a soup. My friend swears by the soup hangover cure, pozole or menudo. Hangover or not, these spicy soups can make any day better. Squeeze lots of lime for more Vitamin C.
Remember, there are so many colors in Mexican food, it’s hard to not eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. ¡Buen apetito!
- Mama’s Kitchen: Grilled Corn Mexican Style – Cafe Habana Corn on the Cob Recipe
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Cornucopia of Corn
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Protein Power
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Feed Your Soul
- Skimkim Yummies: Corn Soup