Name of Playlist: The Friend Mixtape
Nothing says “I Love You” like a homemade mixtape. True, they are often used as a courting device (a la Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist), but they are much more special (in my opinion) when made between girlfriends. They say so much about a friendship, particularly through choice of songs. Some songs say “We both love this artist”, some say “You SHOULD like this artist”, while others say “I have no idea why you like this artist but I am trying to make you happy with this mixtape”. In the case of the below mix, crafted by my dear friend Lindsey Sack, all of these types of songs made the cut. The mutual love: Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, suggested love: V.V. Brown, BlackRoc, and the “I don’t get you” love: Robyn. She threw me a bone with the Robyn, ’cause a while back when Robyn had a new album, she laughed in my face when I admitted I liked it. Thanks, friend!
- M.I.S.S. Playlists: My Heart’s Skippin’ Beats But My Music Isn’t
- We Got the Beat Quickie: Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings “Tell Me”
- M.I.S.S. Playlist: A Case of The Browns
- Playlist: More Soundtrack Appreciation!
- We Got The Beat—J.A.M. Edition: Record Store Day