International Women’s Day began in 1911, at a time when women all over the world were working toward women’s suffrage (the U.S. didn’t give women the right to vote until 1920!). Clara Zetkin, Leader of the ‘Women’s Office’ for the Social Democratic Party in Germany, proposed that every year in every country there should be a celebration on the same day – a Women’s Day – to press for their demands, and International Women’s Day was born.
At M.I.S.S, everyday is a celebration of the achievements of women, but we honor this day with the rest of the global community. Please visit the official International Women’s Day website for info on events and how you can get involved. Next year marks the 100th year anniversary – time to start planning now!
Image Source: Reuters
- Happy International Women’s Day 2013!
- Women Making History: The Generations Before Us
- Mujeres de Maiz Presents: “Somos Medicina”
- Nike Women’s Marathon ‘07 – May 2nd
- Celebrate International Women’s Day with DVF