When I think of grapefruit, I think of it as a fruit for a goddess. Its citrus-y sour sophisticated flavor is not one that just anyone can handle, showing that only the special ones can bless themselves with the fruit. The size of a grapefruit, along with the super nutrient content, is the perfect offering to give to your shrine of a body. And, since grapefruit is in season during the colder winter months, every goddess should flock to the shop to pick up one, or two, or three. It’s not just anytime when a grapefruit tastes as great as it does now, so please treat yourself like the queen that you are and don’t deny yourself the greatness of grapefruit. You wouldn’t want to miss out during National Grapefruit Month!
Grapefruits, like many citrus fruits, are a great source of Vitamin C, which is an excellent antioxidant to stock up on during the cold and flu season. But what makes grapefruits stand out from any other citrus is the pretty pink color. Pink and red hues in natural foods usually indicate that its high in yet another antioxidant, lycopene. It’s always smart to stock up on antioxidants to help prevent certain cancers and other diseases. And to top it all of, it has a flavor that just can’t compare to anything else.
But….if the thought of grapefruit already puts a sour taste in your mouth, try some of these tips to start feeling great with grapefruit:
- Chug it up. Some of the healthiest people I know drink grapefruit juice everyday. If you can’t handle the flavor, mix it up with another juice…just make sure it’s all 100% juice.
- You know the half. A half of a grapefruit would be a great breakfast treat. For a sweet and sour flavor, drizzle some honey or sprinkle a little bit of sugar on top. To make it extra special, use brown sugar and broil it for a few minutes.
- Be prepared. Cut segments of grapefruit ahead of time and leave it in your fridge. When you’re in need of some, add it to salad, to yogurt, or even cottage cheese. But you might just find yourself grabbing a plain and simple bite each time you pass by.
- Go gourmet. Grapefruit can bless so many dishes with its unique flavor. From a seasonal salsa to citrus-glazed chicken and fish, grapefruits are a great way to go gourmet- on the healthy tip!
Can you get more grapefruit in your life during National Grapefruit Month?
- Skimkim Yummies: The Greatfruit Cocktail
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: To Your Health
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Strawberry Fields Forever
- Mama’s Kitchen: Elaine’s NY Cheesecake & Strawberry Topping
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Have Your Cake…and Eat It Too!