Fashion Meets Music: Rihanna “Rude Boy” Video

Rihanna sports a new Keith Haring inspired, colorful look in the video for her "Rude Boy".

Rihanna  must have gotten tired of all that rough-and-tumble-roll-with-the-fellas thing she’s been doing in her msuic videos as of late (Exhibit A “Run This Town”, and Exhibit B “Hard”!), because the preview snippets from her recently shot “Rude Boy” video shows the singer sporting a bright, new playful look. Directed by former M.I.S.S feature Melina Matsoukas, the video for “Rude Boy” is a colorful, pop art inspired clip. The fashionista (and sometimes singer? ouch!) picked looks that “were very Jamaican dance-hall queen type” and reminded her of her native Island looks.

The singer went for old school, playful looks.

The singer went for old school, playful looks.

Bright colors and wild prints abound, giving the video an old-school, 90s’ flair and appeal. Tight, cropped tops, tapered leggings, booty-poppin bike shorts, and the beloved bustier are all featured in neon and Island inpsired color palates. Accessories like Rihanna’s visor, bedazzled baseball hat, and thick gold chains lock in the Retro-Fresh look we are simply diggin’ here at M.I.S.S. But, of course, the singer lends a touch of high-fashion to the looks, with sky-high bondage style lace-up platforms taking things to the edgy level the singer is famous for! Standout pieces featured in the video are a Keith-Haring print inspired full-body catsuit, which Rihanna pairs with some BONKERS ear-cuffed dangling earrings. The singer also looks stunning in the coveted gold LaQuan Smith cut-0ut catsuit. Neon makeup, her signature asymmetrical curly do, and a plethora of really dope eyewear items round out this fashion fantasy video. The girl looks good, and she knows it!

Check out the “Rude Boy” video preview below, and peep it in its entirety exclusively on VEVO, and tell us what you think of Rihanna’s fun “Rude Gyal” look!

10 Responses to “Fashion Meets Music: Rihanna “Rude Boy” Video”

1. Jenessa says:

She jacked M.I.A’s Kala style, but I ain’t mad at it

2. BLB BLB says:

NOT to mention the Grace Jones/Keith Haring “reference”. I am mad at this video. It is visual eye candy but seen it before and I’m not getting the song with the artistic direction of the video. A little late if you ask me. Forward thinking people…please.

“boys there? how many? boys there? How many?” yeah…

3. BLB BLB says:

I just hope that the younger folks understand the “inspiration” & references that this video borrowed from. Don’t give credit were credit isn’t due.

rant, over.

4. Maggie says:

She’s coming under fire for MIA, but she also copped Ebony Bones’ style very blatantly, and not even as well. I’m going to be doing a write up next week about it.

Ebony commented on it on her twitter… Can’t be seen though since it’s private.

5. Sistargirl Leilanie says:

No matter what she does, her voice is still whiny to me, and that’s not a good look.

Anyways, this make it official. Tribal prints are hitting mainstream.

6. Queen of Bows Stella says:

Damn, they could’ve pumped something out really hot with this, and like Liz said, just isn’t original. It even reminds me of Beyonce’s video phone style, again not reinventing the wheel there, but dang, be aware of what else is going on so you don’t just join the ranks.

7. C-Rocka says:

We cannot forget about Amanda Diva’s “NEON” video that came out this fall??

I have to agree with BLB total eye candy video.

8. Bernard says:

I am a fan of your website buddy, I just added.

9. a says:

i hate this song.but im a very big fan a very very big fan of rihanna.i love her…i miss the old rihanna…

10. a says: