Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere with about 9 million of its inhabitants living in poverty. Devastation shook the country this past Tuesday January 12, 2009 when Haiti’s Port-au-Prince was hit by a crippling 7.0 earthquake. Home to around 2 million people, Port-au-Prince has not only suffered in the losses of significant and historical landmarks, but the International Red Cross has estimated a death toll on the capital city ranging between 45,000 – 50,000. President Barack Obama has already pledged to not only give upwards of 100 million dollars for relief efforts, but along with other world leaders has sent helping hands in the form of soldiers, nurses and release agents.
Throughout history there have been many moments of devastation. Some say it comes with the territory of living in a unpredictable world. Our responsibility as citizens of this world calls for us to lend a helping hand to those who needed it most. Port-au-Prince Haiti is in need of our help. Since the earthquake there has been a dramatic outpouring of hope and help financially through avenues we use everyday such as Twitter, Facebook, and even text messaging. I could sit here and give you a list of casualties that would make you cry until your eyes went dry (trust me, I know), but that isn’t what Haiti needs right now. They need water, food, and shelter – they need HELP, and here is a list of small, but significant ways you can help the people in Port-au-Prince that need it the most.
The International Red Cross
- To make a donation to the International Red Cross‘ relief efforts in Haiti check out their website. You can send as little as $25 or as much as $1000
- They have also set up a program that will allow missing you to find friends or family members that may be missing in Port-au-Prince Haiti
Operation NY Haiti Disaster Fundraiser
- New York based fashion label Operation NY will host a fundraiser on Saturday January 16, 2009 from 7 – 10pm at their store located at 60 Mercer Street. All proceeds from the event will be given to Haitian relief efforts.
Bond No. 9 New York Pledges 10% to Haiti Relief
- Effective after January 14th, throughout the next thirty days perfume company Bond No.9 has pledged 10% of the proceeds from the sale of The Scent of Peace, will go to the American Red Cross and their activities in responding the the tragedy that shook the communities devastated by the Haiti earthquake and provide the urgent relief needed.
- Grassroots organization which builds global awareness and funds for the impoverished people of Haiti is making a difference by allowing you to send a small donation through text message. Text “YELE” from your mobile device to 501501 to give a $5 donation to the Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund and people of Port-au-Prince.
Partners In Health
- Providing preferential treatment to those who cannot otherwise afford healthcare, Partners In Health have been in Haiti for over 20 years, and have also suffered in the aftermath of this horrible crisis. They are asking for ANY amount you can give to Haitian relief efforts. As little as 10 cent, or as much as 10 million.
The American Red Cross
- In the same manner as it’s counterpart the International Red Cross, the American Red Cross is asking everyone to text ‘90999’ to send $10 to Haitian relief efforts. They have already gathered upwards of 5 million dollars.
These are small but significant ways you can help the people of Port-au-Prince survive the devastation that has shook their home. I’m sure there are many others that will pop up in the coming days, but for now I hope you all feel the pull of human nature tugging at your heart strings and your wallets. Change starts with us.
- For Japan With Love – Blogger Day of Silence 3.18.11
- The World According to M.I.S.S. Celebrities Come Together for Haiti
- TODAY: Sanrio Day of Donations for Japan’s Disaster Relief
- Sanrio’s Day of Donation – Today!
- In Store/Online 1/21-1/31: Upper Playground Haiti Relief Effort: You Save, We Give