Ah, December, the month of winter wonderlands, my birthday, and the mania of gift giving! As a kid, I used to try to get away with “celebrating” as many of the wintertime holidays as possible, just so I’d have a decent chance at getting some good gifts. And each year, as I professed to every adult within a 10 mile radius that I celebrated Chrismahannakwanza + My Birthday, I’d get a swift slap to the side of the head from my mother as a reminder that no gifts were coming my way! These days, I’ve toned down the fake holidaying, and just hope for the best as far as wintertime gifting goes! Here are the 5 things I’m hoping for this holiday season:
1. Burberry Prorsum Booties: I first laid eyes on these Burberry beauties earlier on in the year and have been cyber stalking them every since. So what if they cost a good 3/4 of my monthly rent! The tough motorcycle feel, cross strap and ultra high heel are the stuff dreams are made of! A girl can wish upon a star right? Too bad I live in NYC and can barely see the stars at night, but I’ll keep my hopes up anyways…
2. Mad Men Season 1-3 DVDs: Even though I work in the TV business full time, I don’t watch too much TV, simply because there isn’t too much new stuff on the tube that excites me. Except for AMC’s Mad Men, that is. Even though it takes place in the 1960s, the writing team behind this hit makes sure every episode is relevant, exciting and super juicy. Nominated for three Golden Globes this year, the show has made a major fan out of me and I cannot wait to get my hands on the DVD and watch endless hours of Don Draper. Sigh.
3. Bijules Bar Ring: Friend of M.I.S.S. Bijules is one of the most innovative movers and shakers making accessories out there today, and the infamous bar ring is a perfect example of that. Anything as stylish as this, yet functional, is a winner in my book. Must cop, eventually.
4. Cupcake Car: I spend an inordinate amount of time each day thinking about baked goods, particularly cupcakes. I’ve become a connoisseur over the past few years, but have never encountered anything quite like the Cupcake Car. OMGeezies, the Cupcake Car is basically Power Wheels for unfortunately sugar-obsessed adults. Tricked out with frosting peaks and sprinkles, you can race this baby in speeds up to 7 mph. I want one, now. Too bad it’s $25,000 (available through Neiman Marcus only).
5. Legalizing Same Sex Marriage: This list has largely been material objects, but I am a firm believer that material items cannot make you happy unless you have whole happiness in your life. And in my opinion, it’s just not fair that some people in our country are offered that chance at happiness, while others aren’t simply because of their sexual preferences. The debate continues (the DC City council recently voted to approve gay marriage), and I can only hope that this holiday season all of the material bullshit is put aside so that we can focus on what would potentially make people across the country very very happy in the future.
- M.I.S.S. Muses: Warm, fuzzy holidays
- M.I.S.S. Muses: A Birthday Boy’s Wish
- M.I.S.S. Muses: Happy Birthday!
- M.I.S.S. Muses: A Victory Over Prop 8
- What I Want for the Holidays 2011: Steph