“That Rihanna reign won’t let up!” RiRi premiered “Hard” off of her R-Rated LP featuring ATL rapper, Young Jeezy. First thing I thought was, “what was the budget on this?!” There are explosions, fire, tanks, and I can’t even imagine how much the fabulously freakish Rick Owens/Gareth Pugh inspired wardrobe ran them! Lets analyze, dissect and discuss the highs and lows while we vicariously live through Rhianna.
1. The Military Modified Outfits– Stylist, Rob Zangardi really put together a healthy dose of military couture. The sexy tight bodysuit with the black tape was fire. Exaggerated white shoulder piece and gloves (no pants) looked edgy yet wearable and perfect for the scene. The head gear, all of it. Plated body armor? So necessary. And the boots, oh my! Can’t get enough. I’m sure the troops would enjoy having her around.
2. The Hair/Makeup Styling– she does not fail here! Definitely love the smudged look with the pristine red lips and the graphic black eye makeup. The hair is working here. Even though she doesn’t have much hair, she manages to make it look different without piling on a ridiculous weave.
3. Young Jeezy– and you know this, man! He made this hard, love his gritty, raspy voice on this track.
4. Video Concept– the direct reference to the current social and political climate. It’s a situation what we are living that’s relatable to her fans. Perhaps it’s personally a comparison to the “terror” she experienced?
5. The Song– It’s catchy, out of all the songs she’s released as singles off of R-Rated, this one got that Rihanna attitude we know and love.
1. The Mickey Mouse Helmet– while dancing around the hot pink tank, felt a disconnect here, what’s so hard about that? You looked cute though.
2. The Machine Gun– shooting it off, was that supposed to be real? The plastic toy guns in Beyonce’s “Video Phone” were more believable. Maybe loading or assembling the gun with the bullets from the bullet bra? Let me see you work that!
3. The Special Effects– the land mines exploding made me nervous, and not in a “are they are real” kind of way. More like “is RiRi goin’ to go flying 20ft in the air and does this video get funny?” kind of way, wait no, Rhianna’s doing the “dark, edgy” thing, let’s move on.
My plan was to find five highs and five lows, but it looks like I liked the video more than I didn’t? Sigh, you’re winning me over girl. As Rihanna would say, “Ha, you know dis!”
- Fashion Meets Music: Rihanna S&M
- Fashion Meets Music: Willow Smith Whips Her Hair
- Fashion Meets Music: Jay-Z’s “Run This Town” Video
- Fashion Meets Music: Rihanna “Rude Boy” Video
- M.I.S.S. NYFW: Cassette Spring 2009