Janelle Monáe, the Grammy nominated singer has been on our style radar for awhile now. The Bad Boy/Wondaland Arts Society artist comes to us via Kansas, New York City, Atlanta, and now she is in the land of Metropolis (year 2719) championing the neo-rockabilly look with an unforgettable mega pompadour. Although she regards her style as “Just Monae,” “minimalist and classic,” her tailored signature style compliments her avant garde R&B sound beautifully. There has definitely been a revival of the rockabilly (1950’s Americana) look on the runways. Sonia Rykiel and Chloe Sevigny for Opening Ceremony both showed Fall 09 collections paired with creepers shoes, a rockabilly staple. I’m into the androgyny of this look. Monae makes it her own with the grandiose pompadour and feminine details, like bow ties and mod-style earrings.
Check out this interview where she talks about her “big brothers in the industry” Big Boi and Andre 3000, challenging creativity, inspirations, and her life long commitment to art.
Shop the Retro look!
– Marc Jacobs Knitted Wool Cape available at mytheresa.com
– Stella McCartney Knitted Paillette Pants also available at mytheresa.com
– Lahaie black and white flats over at Aldo Shoes
– Super matte black basic wayfarers available over at OAK NYC
– Tuxedo pants by MCQ can be found at theoutnet.com
– Jeffrey Campbell’s Winkle Studded Creepers in Blue Suede at one of my favorite sites Nastygal.com
– Splice Neck Tie by Cheap Monday at Karmaloop.com
– Ribbon-trim textured-stripe shirt from The Gap
- M.I.S.S. Paper Dolls: Week 25
- adidas by Stella McCartney spring/summer 07
- Stella McCartney for Target Australia
- Merci! M.I.S.S. Thanks adidas!
- New adidas by Stella McCartney Styles