If you’re allergic to peanuts, I apologize in advance, but you’re missing out on something good. For everyone else, I encourage you to celebrate this month with a brand new jar of peanut butter. It’s National Peanut Butter Lover’s Month, and I am a peanut butter lover, so you know I’m going to spread my lovin’ just like how I spread my peanut butter…nice and thick. I know I don’t stand alone in this because peanut butter is one of those nostalgic foods that just bring you back to the good old days. It has a flavor that can compliment many dishes, and the best part is, it can be quite healthy for you…if you pick your peanuts wisely.
Picky about your peanut butter? With so much variety on the shelves, choosing a jar could be as difficult as choosing a car. Some of you may stick to your favorite brands, while others like it old-fashioned. You might like bumpy and crunchy or perhaps more of a smooth ride. But just like you don’t want to get a car that’s going to give you problems, you don’t want peanut butter problems either! Any peanut butter is an excellent source of protein to help build muscles, hair, and nails, but once there’s more in the jar than just peanuts and salt, then you could run into problems. Many popular national brands contain added ingredients like hydrogenated oils to keep the spread creamy…and your arteries clogged. Sweeteners, like high fructose corn syrup, are added as well, but it could also add on the pounds. Skip those spreads and go for the natural brands pack you with the protein that you need, without packing you up with anything else.
Try these tips to spread some peanut butter lovin’ in your life too!
- You so sweet. Erykah Badu said it right….honey is a great way to give natural peanut butter a sweeter flavor. Mix in a little bit and it’ll taste just as good.
- Beat those hunger pains in a jiffy. For the midnight munchies, don’t run for the border. Instead, run to your pantry and scoop out just a spoon of peanut butter to fill up you tummy with just enough.
- Grow up. Make a grown up peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Substitute the white bread for whole wheat bread and use natural peanut butter and fruit preserves.
- The king of peanut butter sandwiches. Elvis’ favorite sandwich was nuthin’ but a sandwich with bread, peanut butter, and bananas. Uh-huh.
- Go back to pre-school. Remember ants on a log? Celery with peanut butter and raisins…so simple yet so good. Step it up and add some red ants, otherwise known as cranberries.
- Don’t skip the dip. Peanut butter makes a great dip for spring rolls. Mix some in with soy sauce, garlic, and ginger and heat it up.
- The spread’s not just for bread. Slather it on apples, crackers, crepes, and even pickles…if you’re pregnant!
And for all the peanut-free folks, you can still enjoy the nutty, sticky goodness of a PB&J, sans peanut butter. Try almond butter instead, and you’ll have it just as good as the rest of us.
- Skimkim Yummies: Cracktastic Asian Peanut Sauce
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: We ALL Scream for Ice Cream
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: It’s Pumpkin Time!
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Grilled Cheese, Please!
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: B.Y.O.H.L. (Bring Your Own Healthy Lunch)