I love my mom’s ziti with chicken and broccoli. It’s the kind of dish that’s better when you reheat it because all the flavors meld together. I went to college in Philadelphia, about 2.5 hours from home so on some trips, I would bring back a tray of my mom’s ziti with chicken and broccoli. I would always share with my roommates but the unspoken rule was: don’t finish the ziti! Leave the last serving for me! Well, I came home one day and couldn’t wait to have my mom’s ziti. I opened the fridge, reach for the tray and realize it was EMPTY. Sacrilege! These days, I make my mom’s recipe and I don’t have any grubbing roommates who finish it off – and you can make it too…
1 to 2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – washed and cut into small bite-size pieces
1 Package of Frozen Broccoli
6 oz of Chicken Broth
1/2 cup of White Wine
10 pieces of Sun Dried Tomato – cut into small pieces
6 cloves of Garlic – minced
1. Bring a big pot of water to a boil. While you wait for it to boil, start making the sauce. (If the water boils before step 5, just turn it off and bring to a boil again – you want to wait for the pasta not the other way around).
2. Lightly coat the bottom of a frying pan with olive oil. Heat the oil and add garlic. Saute the garlic for 1 minute.
3. Add the chicken. When the chicken turns white on all sides add the sun dried tomatoes and saute. After a few minutes add the broccoli and continue to saute. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add wine and simmer.
5. When the wine is almost evaporated, add the chicken broth, cover the pan and simmer until the mixture is almost dry. (If your pot of water is boiling you can add the ziti to the water at this point).
6. When the ziti is done, drain the water in a colander. By this time the chicken broth should have evaporated. When the sauce is done. Add it to the ziti, mix gently and serve immediately. Add some red pepper flakes for some heat.
- Mama’s Kitchen: Ragù alla Bolognese
- Mama’s Kitchen: Chicken Piccata, Roasted Rosemary Potatoes & Salad Shirazi
- Mama’s Kitchen: Fresh Tomato & Mushroom Sauce and Garden Salad
- Mama’s Kitchen: Halibut in Artichoke and Tomato Broth
- Mama’s Kitchen: Southern Comfort