With last weeks release of the movie The September Issue and all the buzz about it, I thought it would be fun to peruse 30 years of September issues. I chose to start at 1969 and end at 1999 because, well, frankly, the 2000’s aren’t as exciting…in my vintage minded opinion. The infamous September issue has always been the largest issue in the year. The actual movie was based on the record breaking 2007 September issue, weighing in at over 5 pounds and 840 pages and of course following Anna Wintour, who has been at the helm of US Vogue since 1988.
Started in 1892, Vogue has witnessed centuries of fashion. From the “Big 6” super models, to Brooke Shields to Verushka, to covers shot by Avedon, Vogue has always been on the pulse of high fashion. Here is a small portion of it’s time in print, from 1969 to 1999, the September issues (both US and UK).
- The September Issue: The Salvation of Anna Wintour?
- Fashion Meets Film: The September Issue
- Vogue On Film: The September Issue
- Anna Wintour’s Having a Party, Are You Invited?
- The Glamorous Life: Anna Wintour on Late Night with David Letterman