I love lemon. It’s my favorite citrus fruit and I love it on just about anything – I even eat them plain (thin slices, mind you). Lemon and chicken are a match made in heaven and that’s why this week’s recipe, Chicken Piccata, is a dish that I make almost once a week. This recipe is so quick, easy and delicious so it’s also great for entertaining. If you don’t like chicken (or even if you do) you can swap out chicken for fish. I’ve made the Piccata recipe with Tilapia instead of chicken and it’s equally delicious. Of course, every chicken dish needs some tasty sides so I went with rosemary roasted potatoes and salad Shirazi. All of these dishes are super simple and fast to prepare.
Chicken Piccata Ingredients (for 2 people)
¾ pound of chicken breast or breast tenders
1 large lemon, squeezed
¼ cup white wine
2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
½ cup of chicken stock (if you’re using bouillion cubes or powdered stock and it’s already measured out to be diluted in 1 cup, you can still use the whole packet/cube in ½ cup water and it will just be more concentrated.
1 tsp of capers
1 tbsp of butter
Fresh mint or dill
1. Prep the chicken, trim fat, rinse with salt & water.
2. If you are using a chicken breast, cut the breast into tenders. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
3. Season both sides of the chicken with salt & pepper and coat with flour.
4. In a stainless steel pan, heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and pan fry the chicken (a stainless steel pan works best though non-stick is ok – just use less oil).
5. When the chicken is cooked through fully remove the chicken from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
6. Deglaze the frying pan with the garlic and white wine. It will steam up a lot, when the steam subsides, stir the garlic and wine and stir in all the bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. After about a minute, add the lemon juice, chicken stock and capers. Stir.
7. Add the chicken to the sauce and coat the chicken with the lemon sauce for about 2 minutes. Remove the chicken from the sauce and set aside.
8. Add the butter and mint (or dill) to the sauce. Stir it all together. When the butter is totally melted the sauce is ready.
9. Pour over the chicken and serve.
Rosemary Roasted Potatoes Ingredients
Salt & Pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash the potatoes and cut up into bite-size pieces.
3. Coat the potatoes with olive oil, add fresh rosemary (you can use dried but it’s not nearly as tasty or fragrant) and salt & pepper.
4. Cover with foil and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until fork tender. Uncover and let the potatoes brown a bit.
5. When they are as golden as you like them, they’re ready!
Salad Shirazi Ingredients (serves 2 people)
2 Persian Cucumbers
2 Plum Tomatoes
1 Slice of white onion, chopped
1 Lime, squeezed
1 Tsp Olive Oil
Dill or Mint
Salt & Pepper
1. Rinse all the vegetables and cut up into bite size pieces. Rinse the herbs and finely chop.
2. Add olive oil, lime, salt & pepper.
- Mama’s Kitchen: Halibut in Artichoke and Tomato Broth
- Mama’s Kitchen: Fresh Tomato & Mushroom Sauce and Garden Salad
- Mama’s Kitchen: Bruschetta & Arugula Salad
- Mama’s Kitchen: Southern Comfort
- Skimkim Yummies: Creamy Tomato Soup