Summertime gives us a reason to enjoy life even more: longer days, swimsuit weather, summer romance, BBQs, and of course, summer fruits! Many fruits are at their peak during these months, and there’s no better time to enjoy them than now. In fact, one of the most unique fruits, the blueberry, is so bountiful that July has been declared National Blueberry Month in the U.S. Most popular for sprinkling muffins and pancakes with a burst of flavor, blueberries don’t only taste great….they’re also super healthy for you!
Blueberries have been named a “super food” for their amazing nutritional value. Blueberries are a great source of Vitamin C and fiber, making it a great way to build your immune system and clean out the digestive system. Blueberries also contain one of the highest levels of antioxidants per serving, serving as protection against cell damage that could lead to cancer and other diseases. Anthocyanin, the antioxidant that make blueberries blue, can also increase memory function and slow down the aging process. Eating a rainbow of different colors will always benefit your body, and this blue fruit is one tasty way to get your blue in.
Blueberries can be enjoyed fresh or frozen, dried or preserved. Try these delectable ways to enjoy blueberries:
- Fruit on the top, not the bottom. Don’t buy blueberry flavored yogurt…top your plain or vanilla yogurt with fresh blueberries.
- Healthy breakfast…fast! Load your favorite whole grain cereal with plump blueberries for a punch of flavor with every crunch.
- Mix it in. Mix fresh or frozen blueberries into your favorite batter or dough…pancake, cake, bread, muffin, scones, and more!
- Smooth it out. Blend frozen blueberries with other fruits for an even healthier smoothie.
- Top it off. Fresh blueberries go great as a fro-yo or ice cream topping.
- Happy trails. Add dried blueberries to your favorite trail mix.
- Rainbow salad. Is your salad missing some blue? Add blueberries, fresh or dried!
- PB&B. Use blueberry jam in your PB sandwich.
- Have a toast. Blueberries go great in drinks…sangria, margarita, daiquiris, and even champagne!
- Go traditional. Bring back memories with blueberry tarts and cobblers.
- Munchies. Fresh blueberries are great just the way they are!
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: You Can’t Play With My Fro-Yo
- Nutrition Facts: Eat a Rainbow
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Eatin’ the Blues
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Savor a Salad
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Strawberry Fields Forever