Randi Hernandez

R.I.P. Michael Jackson aka The King of Pop

R.I.P. Michael Jackson aka The King of Pop

R.I.P. Michael Jackson aka The King of Pop

News is just breaking that The King of Pop, Michael Jackson, has died today at UCLA hospital. Half of the news sources say he is just in a coma (CNN), while the other half (like CBS and the L.A. Times) say he is officially dead. Based on cases similar to this one, he is probably dead, but publicists don’t like to confirm DEAD until they are good and ready…..which is just sad, really. He went into cardiac arrest this morning, and the 911 call went out. They tried to revive him, but were unable to. MJ born August 29, 1958, and now, dead at age 50 in 2009.

For me, writing a post about Michael Jackson’s life is kind of like writing a eulogy for your father’s funeral. We at M.I.S.S. are so heartbroken right now, for the 80’s baby, he is as big as Elvis or The Beatles. Everybody has a brother or cousin or relative in the 80’s who dressed at Michael at Halloween; “Billie Jean” came out in 1982, so it is very relevant to our generation. It is crazy to think that he has passed before Quincy Jones, the producer responsible for Thriller. According to MSNBC, Quincy released this statement: “I lost my little brother today, and with him, a little piece of my soul.”

The veteran pop star's memorabilia was iconic as the man himself. His gloves—completely covered in Swarovski crystals.

The King of Pop recently sold out 50 London shows in 5 hours, with a total of 750,000 tickets sold at the rate of 11 tickets per second. His comeback performances were supposed to begin on July 8th, 2009 and run until February 24th, 2010.

My favorite memory of Michael is when my brother would play “Thriller” for me in his room. He would turn off all the lights, and then he would start the song. When Vincent Price’s laugh would start, he would start walking towards me like a zombie. I would freak out and try to run out of the room as fast as I could. He always got a big kick out of that.

Our founder, Gabriella, says her favorite memory is having her grandmother make her white gloves with sequins all over them. Insanely cute.

Please share with us your favorite MJ memory in our comments!

Download and enjoy the following Michael Jackson Mix by DJ Ayres (The Rub) and check out the official Michael Jackson YouTube page to bring back some of those memories.

9 Responses to “R.I.P. Michael Jackson aka The King of Pop”

1. margaret says:

yikes…two legends in a row.
    RIP you’ll always rock my world Michael!

2. Jennaay says:

I was so scared of his thriller video when I was a little girl, but I loved watching it anyway. I’m so saaaddddddd. Why micheal why??!!!!

3. Drea says:

Michael was actually born on the 29th

4. artiffact artiffact says:

MJ is so iconic that my 8 year old daughter LOVES him, seriously, she was even him for Halloween (and any other day that she gets a chance to)! A custom red Thriller jacket and all. It’s amazing that someone who isn’t marketed to the youth today can still be someone that my kid can appreciate and idolize. That there is more proof how timeless his music is.

5. Dee Dee says:

no one can deny his legend status. music will never be the same and no one will ever be able to replace him. NO ONE…

6. Jenessa says:

i’ll never forget watching the fresh prince of bel air and waiting for the world premiere of the “remember the time” video right after. all the grandiose costumes and the all star cast. i thought it was so dope when he spun around and turned into sand. michael was always so ahead of his time. a true icon. my prayers go out to his three young children and family.

7. ELROD says:

It’s kind of crazy that most people are willing to neglect that he was repetitive child molester, just because he had great music…

8. ladylexx ladylexx says:

The King of Pop was an easy target and often accused but never convicted of molesting a child.

I grew up near Neverland Ranch and an ex-boyfriend’s best friend was one of these accusers. He later admitted to A Current Affair (anyone remember that show?!) that his mother, who was a maid at MJ’s Neverland Ranch, had fabricated the story for money.

“No amount of controversy will EVER reduce the inspiration, trailblazing path and historic proportion of the music of Michael.” ~@jodywatley

9. Nasia says:

Michael’s music has made a special impact on my life, as a teenager people tell me im to young to know anything about Michael but as an artist he has created something that is timeless and powerful and crosses all barriers, he will be missed i will be sure to teach my future children about Michael and his music and keep his legacy alive