During the cold winter months, I often dreamed of bright red, fresh strawberries and longed for summer days when strawberries are in abundance. The crops found in the markets during the winter months aren’t the best quality when they’re grown in faraway lands and harvested early to withstand the long travel times. But now that the days are warming up, strawberries fields are ready for harvest, and the yummy fruit is popping up in farmer’s markets and grocery stores everywhere. This is the best time of year to enjoy the heart-shaped berry.
Aside from being such a cute fruit, strawberries are rather unique for many reasons. First, the seeds are found on the outside! Most fruit seed are found in the core, but strawberries need the seed on their coat to define their look. Strawberries are also loaded with vitamin C, an important antioxidant that strengthens the immune system and heals cuts and bruises. But one of the best reasons to love strawberries is the versatility of the fruit. Sprinkle some strawberries in your daily summer diet and you’ll love the flavor!
Try out these delectable ways to eat strawberries:
- Salsa- Chop some up and add to your Pico de Gallo recipe.
- Salad- Slice and top on greens for a punch of sweetness.
- Smoothies- Hull the stem and freeze the berry. Toss in the blender with other fruits and juice or milk.
- Bruschetta- Mix with tomatoes for an updated flavor.
- Ice cream- Forget the syrup and go with fresh slices.
- Lemonade- When life gives you lemons, make strawberry lemonade.
- Champagne- Nothing else goes better with bubbly!
Just remember, that if you’re going to use strawberries in your recipe, always have extra because you might not be able to stop yourself from eating the fruit before you even get a chance to use it!
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: It’s Pumpkin Time!
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Summertime Blues
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Ice, Ice Baby
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Reasons for the Season
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Get Vitamins in Your Water…the Fresh Way!