One of my favorite all time snacks/appetizers is Bruschetta (pronounced Broo-ske-tta). The flavors are simple and it’s a healthy way to start a meal or stave off hunger – not to mention that it’s easy to make. Last Friday, my mother reminded me that it was Lent and that I shouldn’t eat meat so I put together a vegetarian meal: Bruschetta, Spaghetti with Pesto and an Arugula Salad. Whether you’re vegetarian or just want a light, fresh meal, these three dishes are simple to put together and great for entertaining. Read the full story to see the recipes, tips and photos.
3. Pick the basil leaves off of the stem and rinse. Layer each leaf on top of each other and roll the leaves. Slice the basil leaves (this is a chiffonade). To make shorter pieces of basil, then slice lengthwise. Set aside in the same bowl as the tomatoes.
4. Drizzle olive oil into the bowl of tomatoes and basil. Season with salt and pepper and mix all the ingredients. There’s no magic amount – it’s according to taste. Always start out with just a bit – you can always add more, but you can’t take away.
8. Top with bruschetta mix and enjoy!
Arugula Salad Ingredients
Grape Tomatoes (I like Grape Tomatoes but you can use whatever kind of tomatoes you like).
Bell Pepper (½ pepper for 2 people)
Can of Sweet Corn (½ can for 2 people)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Juice of ½ Lemon
Rice Wine Vinegar
Salt & Pepper
1. Rinse all the salad ingredients.
2. Cut the grape tomatoes in half and dice the bell pepper and place in a bowl. Drain the liquid from the can of corn and add the corn to the bowl.
3. Drizzle a bit of olive oil along the edge of the bowl. Add the lemon juice and a drizzle of Rice Wine Vinegar. Add salt & pepper to taste and combine.
**With salad dressing less is definitely more – if you drench the salad the greens will wilt. Don’t have a heavy hand with your liquid ingredients – a little goes a long way and you can always add more.
**For a different dressing replace the lemon juice and Rice Wine Vinegar with Balsamic Vinegar.
**You can substitute fresh grilled corn for the canned corn.
- Mama’s Kitchen: Simple Salad
- Mama’s Kitchen: Fresh Tomato & Mushroom Sauce and Garden Salad
- Mama’s Kitchen: Chicken Piccata, Roasted Rosemary Potatoes & Salad Shirazi
- Mama’s Kitchen: Halibut in Artichoke and Tomato Broth
- Skimkim Yummies: Vibrant Vinaigrette