What will it take for a man to propose, aside from finding the right girl? For example, job stability, getting older, friends getting married . . .
The Professional: I have had friends that popped the question hours after meeting a girl they perceived to be Mrs. Right (ring and everything within five hours of initial introduction) and I have had friends that have avoided the question for years. Simply put, everyone is different. The decision usually hinges on finding Mrs. Right, but there are a number of other issues one might want solidified before getting down on one knee. Below is a short list that might be of help:
1. Financial Stability – Love is a great thing but I have to remind you that financial issues cause most divorces. Whether you’re on the traditional or non-traditional life/career path, bills have to be paid, dreams have to be invested in and vacations will need to be taken. Regardless of whether you think money is good or bad, having it doesn’t hurt.
2. The Ring – Let’s be honest, the ring is extremely important and can be expensive. Although started as a marketing gimmick, the general rule is for the engagement ring to equal three months of your fiancés salary before taxes. It may take some time but your man could be delaying the question until he can afford the right ring.
3. Location, Location, Location – This is for the long distance couples. Eventually, someone is going to have to compromise and the compromise needs to happen before the question is asked.
4. Commitment – One question, is your man ready for the responsibilities and obligations of marriage? This might be the most significant issue on the list and it really comes down to whether he wants to be single or married. For some, it is just the next step in life. For others, it is not so easy. Let’s be honest, some people can handle being married, others can’t. Before your man gets down on one knee, he might need to make sure he knows who he is and what he is capable of.
The Jerk: Every guy has to ask himself if there is only one Mrs. Right. Some dudes want the variety, some dudes are ready to settle down. The money, the job, and all the other crap is important but it all comes down to whether dude is done trying to upgrade. Ladies, don’t get upset, you should be asking yourself the same question.
To have your question answered by OHW2007, please leave your question in a comment below or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Life 2.0 by OHW2007: Money v. Ugly??
- Ask MISSter Simms – My Boyfriend Won’t Propose!
- Life 2.0 by OHW2007: MILF In The Making
- Ask M.I.S.S.ter Simms
- Ask MISSter Simms – With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility