Rad Hourani debuted his SS09 collection at the OpenHouse Gallery in Nolita. Benches lined the walls and where placed throughout the space to create a winding runway for the models. Clad in head-to-toe black the looks where very sleek and structured. The use of contrasting fabrics, intricate seam work and slashes/cut-outs worked to create texture and depth in the all black ensembles. The slashing and striping created by seam work and pleating brought about a bondage reference reminiscent of straps and restraints. The high collars and sturdy tunic tops, esp. in some of the menswear looks, seemed to borrow influence from papal clothing. I also felt an equestrian influence in some of the construction of the pants, futuristic jodhpurs’ sans “hips” if you will and even a little medieval executioner steeze. Over-all a beautifully executed collection proving that black is not just the same old black.
See the rest of the women’s collection and the final walk video after the jump!
- M.I.S.S. NYFW: L.A.M.B. Spring 2012 Collection
- M.I.S.S. NYFW: Woolrich John Rich & Bros. Black Label by Paula Gerbase Fall/Winter 2011
- M.I.S.S. NYFW: Kara Laricks Spring/Summer 2013 Presentation
- The Craftmanship of Sally Torres Vega
- M.I.S.S. NYFW: Falls Fall 2010 Collection