This week’s tip and picks is inspired by the mental block I have in regards to exercise, henceforth illustrated by my work chair: A stability ball. Looking quite odd, and slightly pervy, and forever eliciting curious stares and comments, sitting on one of these during my work week, according to research and a friend’s personal trainer, keeps my waist shaped and my posture straight because your body is constantly having to make small adjustments in order to balance itself on the ball, which has the same effect as a constant low impact pilates workout. Sitting on a stability ball is an easy and mindless way to workout your core muscles (see diagram below) including your abs, and strengthens your back.
TIP: Works especially well while watching TV and when working on a computer.
*These balls come in different sizes, so for optimal results, use your height to determine what size ball will work best for you, e.g. larger balls for taller people, etc., and if you want to move beyond your sitting stability ball workout, check out these recommended stability ball exercises, from Fitness Magazine.
Stability Ball – What I have at home
Where to buy: Target.com, Target Stores
Stability Ball Chair – What I have at work. (Good for the office since the ball is stationary, and won’t roll all over the place.)
Enjoy and stay posted for more beauty tips and picks to come next week!
- M.I.S.S. Healthy Bites: Need a 30-Minute Workout? U Got It with UGI!
- Reebok Global Instructors
- M.I.S.S. Michelle’s Beauty Picks of the Week: Bag of Tricks – M.I.S.S. Michelle’s $10 and Under Make-up Bag Must Haves
- Empower Comfort Grip Kettlebell with DVD Review
- M.I.S.S. Michelle’s Beauty Picks of the Week: Get your Groove Back with these Valentine’s Day Picks.