ladylexx

DIY Milk Crate Furniture

In a couple of months, I’ll be moving out of my tiny studio and into a grown-lady place (aka a 1-2 bedroom)! After the initial freak-out of having to pay more for a larger place, I started to daydream about all the new furniture possibilities…plus I get to bring more of my records up from my parent’s house! So to my pleasant pleasant surprise, I came across this sophisticated and very sustainable milk crate furniture! Perfect for this little record fiend!

These pieces make me want to say F-words! Funky! Friendly! Fun! Functional! Hehe. Yea…sorry. Total geek-out but I had to share!

As a grown-ups we should take full advantage of being able to personalize our lives and not always feel like we have to default to Ikea (not hating on them at all!). Plus it keeps life interesting to change up a routine and do some DIY!

Learn more about these pieces Dwell.com!

14 Responses to “DIY Milk Crate Furniture”

1. Very creative!

I use milk crates as furniture, but these have cushions! I’ll be livin’ large.

2. grumula says:

awesome!

3. Emma says:

I think that is an awesome idea. If everyone in the world used recycled things like these around our homes then maybe the earth would be cleaner. But I guess nobody cares about the enviroment because of this economy 😀

4. Tashina says:

I use wood apple crates as bookshelves, so I’m glad to see that others do similar things. I love the unique and funky look crates give a place.

5. brandedgreen says:

@tashina – glad to see I’m not the only one! A few coats of paint and some sandpaper – my daughter loves her shelves!!

@Emma – It’s economical too, if you think about it – definitely cheaper than pressboard box store *junk* and MUCH more fun :)

Anyway, that light fixture would be awesome in my studio. Beyond that, excellent ideas to give my vinyl storage system a double use!!

Not only is it a great way to keep trash out of landfills, but it’s a fun, easy weekend project, too!

6. Love the milkcrates… brings back memories of an old college apartment of mine. I’ve now graduated to old wooden Coke and Canada Dry drink crates.

7. LuvRunning says:

Pretty ugly and tacky! It would cost less money to buy something used from a thrift store than to buy all those materials and used labor. And, you are still recycling! ooh

8. trish says:

This is a good idea, but I would not suggest it for the prudes…

9. Casieopea says:

I think I would take some of that spray paint that looks like hammered bronze and paint some of these to give them a more finished look..thats my taste…somehow red blue and green milk crates look better if they are similar in colour! :)

10. Mike says:

I could totally see using the crates as storage cubbies attached across the wall in a grid pattern in a playroom or something…

11. Stew says:

If you aren’t buying these cases at a store, and you are using logoed dairy company cases then you are breking the law, and this is punishable in all 50 states.
    Suggest you return the dairy companies property, ASAP

12. Kathy Malone says:

I love this! Great Creative with crates!

13. Mattress says:

I never would have thought of that

14. Barb says:

Oh puleez! I graduated from milk cartons and college the same year.