Yesterday Chanel unveiled it’s Autumn/Winter couture collection at the Grand Palais in Paris. The collection had a strong militaristic undercurrent that was at one medieval and futuristic. As I was watching the collection, Joan of Arc definitely was running through my mind. The severely bobbed hair of the models was reminiscent of the flappers that Coco Chanel epitomized, as well as, Joan of Arc, the teenage warrior and martyr. If that wasn’t enough of a reference, some of the models had “halos” framing their faces – very saintly indeed. The color palette of white, grey, steel and black gave the collection a serious and sombre feel, while pin tucks and pleating gave the appearance of armor. Strong shoulders, nipped waists and interesting volume, and distinct shapes are all big themes for the collection. Check for more pics and a video after the jump!
- Alexis Mabille Haute Couture Spring 2010 – Split Personality
- M.I.S.S. NYFW: Donna Karan New York & DKNY Spring 2010 RTW
- Paris Fashion Week – Chanel!!
- M.I.S.S. Couture Fall 2009: Chanel
- “If I Was A Rich Girl” – Chanel Fall/Winter 2008