My mom had lots of little sayings that she used to throw my way when I was growing up – one of the ones that comes to mind repeatedly is: “You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.” This phrase is hundreds of years old and in reading the news lately, it seems there are some girls whose moms never taught them this very basic lesson. There were 2 events in particular that made me think of this: First, was another “diva moment’ where Naomi Campbell caused a ruckus and then proceeded to spit on people. The second, and more disturbing, was a group of teenage girls in Florida who ganged up on an innocent “friend” and beat the crap out of her so they could put the video up on youtube.
For a woman who is “always a lady”, this lesson is one of the most important. “You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar” simply means: “You can win people to your side more easily by gentle persuasion and flattery than by hostile confrontation.” Bartleby. Or, even more simply put: BE NICE! You’d be amazed how well this works. It’s all about keeping your cool and relying on your womanly charm. No, you don’t have to “show some leg” or “bat your eyelashes” – it’s all about staying calm in the face of adversity. A lady always maintains the higher moral ground. Just because someone is acting like an ass to you, you don’t need to reciprocate and act like an ass yourself. Trust me, it takes all manner of self control to do this, but I assure you, you will feel 100% better knowing that you didn’t stoop to someone else’s pathetic level. Here are some easy places to start . . .
1. Don’t spit on people (Naomi, Pumpkin, – are you listening??)
2. Don’t beat the crap out of people to achieve your “15 minutes of fame” (So unbecoming of a lady – a lady does not inflict bodily harm and only does so to defend herself or her friends/family)
3. When you’re calling those customer service lines, be patient and polite. You know you are going to sit on hold for 10 minutes. Accept it, you’ll be in a better mood when the rep gets on the phone. The rep is there to help you. They will be more likely to help you if you are nice to them. If they are not helping don’t yell at them, just ask to speak to their manager.
4. The most basic, and unfortunately, the most forgotten: Be polite and say “please” and “thank you”
A lady always knows when to turn on the charm. . . you’d be surprised, but sometimes the littlest things help you get what you want.
- Little M.I.S.S. Frustrated: Taking Advantage
- illdoctrine’s latest: Asher Roth and the Racial Crossroads
- Mama’s Kitchen: Fresh Tomato & Mushroom Sauce and Garden Salad
- Ask MISSter Simms – How to Deal With A Flirty Boyfriend
- Women Making History: Tara Martins